Our goal is for every Fayette County child is ready for college, work and life.
Academic Challenge II
In partnership with Fayette County Public Schools, the Urban League’s Academic Challenge II program allows students in participating Title I schools the opportunity to spend more time on academics in a fun way. Designed to improve academic outcomes and boost parent engagement, the competition has served the Lexington community since 2001 and has awarded $2,520,888 in college scholarships.
The primary team from Arlington Elementary and the intermediate team from Ashland Elementary secured the 2023 Superintendent’s Cup victories in the districtwide championships. Their participating students will also receive college scholarships from Midway University ($20,000) and Morehead State ($12,000), respectively.
Primary Division (grades 2-3)
- 1st place: Arlington — Selma Angulo, Caroline Davis, Nathan Glover, Arianna Lavizzio, Alice Sanda, and Madison Sweatt
- 2nd place: Mary Todd – Mia Alvarez, Justice Griffin, Kingston Hamilton, Mia Alfaro Marin, John-Tyler Patrick, and Lucas Mejia Portillo
- 3rd place: Picadome — Talia El-Amouri, Bentley Gonzalez, Rain Gordon, Laney Gumm, Hailey Miller, and Benjamin Pollock
Intermediate Division (grades 4-5)
- 1st place: Ashland — Jordan Capley, Hanni Ge, Mary Hightower, Cecilia Kaye, JaMariyah Lanier, and Finnegan O’Farrell
- 2nd place: Millcreek – Abdullah Al-Rashed, Carleigh Cornett, Laeton Happy, Ajong Kemcha, Nala Spivey, and Peyton Young
- 3rd place: Arlington — Netalya Brewer, Anthony Brown, Aubryonna Johnson, and Jaleeyah Livingston
These teams squared off on March 29 at the John D. Price Administration Building after advancing from the Academic Challenge regional contests, which drew over 800 students. In the quiz bowl format, a moderator asked nearly 20 questions from various subject areas, including math, social studies, science, language arts, and arts and humanities.
Academic Challenge is an Urban League initiative in partnership with Fayette County Public Schools and Kentucky colleges as award sponsors.
For more information, please contact Annissa Franklin at Annissa@ullexfay.org.
LIFT: A College & Career Conference
The Lifting and Impacting Futures Today Conference is a one-day conference for pre-K through high school students across Kentucky and their parents. This year, the conference will celebrate 20 years of empowering students and their families. Attendees gather to learn more about being prepared for college and exploring career options. Parents participate in financial aid workshops, explore resources, and learn about student supports. High school seniors have an opportunity to compete for college scholarships.
For more information, please visit https://LIFT2023.eventbrite.com or contact Annissa Franklin at Annissa@ullexfay.org.
2023 Conference Links:
- Registration: https://LIFT2023.Eventbrite.com
- College Scholarship Information: https://cutt.ly/2023LIFTScholarship
MADE: Motivated All Day Everyday
Motivated All Day Everyday provides weekly group counseling and mentoring services for middle and high school youth. The program focuses on social and emotional development and provides strategies and life skills. In addition, the program challenges students to develop critical thinking skills that have helped them improve in and out of the classroom. MADE is offered in select middle and high schools in Fayette County. Students are referred to the program by school counselors and administration.
For more information, please contact Logan Avritt by calling 859-233-1561.